Candidates must score well in every section to crack the CAT exam, including reading comprehension (RC). RC holds more than 50% weightage in the verbal ability section. It determines the candidate’s ability to read the text, process it, and understand the given passage. In addition, it checks the vocabulary and text comprehension ability of the candidate.
However, your score in the RC section will depend on your reading speed, how you understand and use the information given in the comprehension passage, and how you analyze the questions and then answer them. So, if you want to score well in the RC section to crack the CAT exam, you need to focus on your reading speed.
So, how to enhance your reading speed?
Reading newspapers, magazines, and the latest trendy topics online is a great way to enhance your vocabulary and reading speed. Daily article reading will not only improve your reading speed, but it will also help you grasp and analyze the information accurately. In addition, it also improves your focus. As a result, you will easily understand the complicated comprehension passages and score well in the CAT exam. In addition, joining the best institute for CAT coaching in Chandigarh can help you better to improve your reading speed.
How to become a good reader?
- Don’t read all the time continuously: When it comes to RC passages, it is a misconception that you have to continuously read the passage and remember names, dates, facts, and figures from the passage. However, it is not the right way to find the right answer. Continuous reading can not only make the reading a chore, but sometimes, you miss the theme in the leu of remembering the dates, figures and facts. In addition, it makes reading boring. So, whenever you read the passage, make sure you read it for fun and actually try to understand what the author wants to convey.
- Read slowly: Undoubtedly, you may feel pressure to complete the RC section within one hour. As a result, you may try to read the comprehension passages quickly. However, speed reading can lead to skimmed paragraphs and skipped words, leading to mistakes. So, to ensure you don’t skip any crucial information or sentence or word, make sure you read at a normal pace so that you understand everything mentioned in the passage. Don’t rush-read.
How to enhance your CAT score in the RC section?
- Try to understand the meaning: Understanding the passage’s meaning is equally important as moving swiftly through the passage. So, make sure you skim the information mentioned in each line and try to understand what is discussed in the passage. You have to weed out the unimportant information and retain the key information. So, when you read the passage, try to identify the central idea of the passage and draw the necessary inferences.
- Focus on your grammar: Grammatical rules have a significant role in understanding a passage. So, when practicing RC for CAT, try to improve your grammar. Clear your basic concepts of tenses, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc. This will help you understand the comprehension passages more effectively. You can join a CAT coaching institute to clear the concepts of grammar.
- Work on your vocabulary: In order to crack the RC section, vocabulary plays a vital role. So, try to improve your vocabulary by reading the articles in newspapers daily and solving the previous year’s CAT exam RC section. If you don’t know the meaning of a word, underline it and find its meaning. In addition, write and learn at least 5 synonyms and antonyms of a new word and try to make a sentence using it.
The bottom line
Now that you know how to score well in the RC section of the CAT exam, what are you waiting for? Find a reliable CAT exam coaching centre to score high in the CAT exam. When choosing a CAT coaching institute, check out its faculty.