If the walls of your room turn dark or the paint becomes bubbly and then falls off, take it as an indication of water damage. Water damage can occur in various parts of your home. Example- Your walls may become dark and damp, your floors can get affected. This happens when water leaks and enters through unusual places. Initially, they appear as wet spots in small amounts. But if you do not treat them on time, they can damage your whole house. If you need water damage restoration in Westminster, go to this helpful website for the best water damage in Westminster.
Any area in your house which does not receive much sunlight can be vulnerable to these water leaks, growing easily and damaging at a fast pace. Sometimes small plants start to grow from these areas making it even worse. Roots from plants can tear down your whole house if it goes unnoticed.
Causes of Water damage
Water damage can be costly, destroying your home in a number of ways. Some causes of water damage are:
- Water Heater Leakage – Leakage from the water heater is quite common. Water heater leaks can occur, in case it is very old, installed improperly, there is too much pressure on the water tank, or is ill-maintained.
When located in the basement, a water heater can cause flooding. In case you have a geyser, there are chances of pipe leaks. Hence, it is better to keep your water heater in check from time to time.
- Washing Machine Leakage – Washing machines can leak water while on a wash cycle or while draining. Several factors can lead to it. Like, an excessive amount of detergent or overloading with clothes can lead to a leakage. However, we have to look out for any damage in the pipes or inner parts, as it can lead to slow water leakage.
Clogged water inside, underneath, or the pipes can damage your floor and cause rusting on the machine.
- Condensation From AC – All air conditioners release wastewater from the evaporator coil, which goes through a condensate drain line and finally out of your home. If there is any kind of congestion in the drain line, then the water gets clogged in the AC machine. However, this can damage the AC machine. The water gets absorbed through the walls, making it soggy and wet, causing dampness. Hence, maintaining the condensate drain line is necessary.
- Defects In The Pipeline – Any leak in any pipe or pipeline can cause a great deal of damage. A minor leak in any pipe in your washroom or kitchen can affect the walls around it or a cabinet if near to it. The pipe itself gets rusted. The leak leads to dampness on the wall, leading to the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Blockage In Drains – We have drains both inside and outside our homes. Inside our home, it refers to any sink, bathtub, and toilet. All of these can get blocked with dirt or waste materials. If not cleaned immediately, water can flow back inside and cause damage.
During bad climatic conditions, especially during the rainy season, drains or gutters outside our home can get clogged with dirt or leaves leading to waterlogging. If drains around our house overflow and are not able to pass, it can damage our property.
Why Should We Not Neglect Water Damage?
Water damage indicators can be small and may go unnoticed. Close inspection is required to identify water damage and repairing it is the most crucial part.
- The first indicator of water damage marks appears on the walls or the floors. It ruins well-decorated walls, wooden floors or any wooden material, rusting of steel, iron, etc. Any such water damage can be costly to repair. In order to avoid such damages, it is best to mend it beforehand.
- A leakage in any pipe or pipe burst can cause flooding. While a tiny leak might take days to damage a portion, a major leak will do it in a few hours. If any area gets flooded, it is difficult to remove the water and completely dry it. Leaving it like that is not an option, as it will lead to other hazardous situations.
- Mold is a fungus that appears in the form of black or greenish spots on your walls. If you notice these marks, you can be sure of water damage. Mold, if left untreated, makes your room soggy. It can be harmful to people who have lung problems like asthma; it may also affect our health in a number of ways.
A damp or wetness or accumulation of water can destroy our belongings and our homes. If not all of it, then it can affect a large part of it. Any house damp is an unhealthy place to live in. Waterlogging in any part of the house can be a birthplace for mosquitoes, many of which are often harmful and known to cause malaria.
For the above-mentioned reasons, you should treat water damage inside or outside your home on the spot.